Fitness Philadelphia is loaded with information on the Philadelphia area and the wonderful resources it contains for those that want to get and stay fit.
From parks, trails, local races, and fitness vendors hopefully you’ll find something that meets your itinerary and workout plans.
The Philadelphia area has thousands of acres of parks, hundreds of miles of trails, and numerous events to keep you fit…now get out there and enjoy them!
View of Philadelphia skyline from Belmont Plateau’s Cross-Country course
Fitness Philadelphia – Parks & Trails
- Central Perkiomen Valley Park: This 800-acre is located in Montgomery County along the Perkiomen Creek and stretches from Collegeville to Spring Mount.
- Delaware Canal Towpath: This 60-mile path has scenic views of the canal and river. Enjoy the river views from this tree-lined path. It’s also close to New Hope, PA; Lambertville, NJ and other great Bed & Breakfast spots!
- Evansburg State Park: Located along the banks of the Skippack Creek, this 1000-acre park in Montgomery County has over 15 miles of trails for the fitness-minded. They also have many picnic areas, fishing, golf, baseball fields, and much more.
- French Creek State Park: Located in Chester County, this park has two lakes, over 7,300 acres of park, and miles of trails through forested and farmland areas.
- Fairmount Park: One of the best places to go for a walk, jog, or a long run is in a tree-lined park. In Philadelphia you have the scenic Fairmount Park system, which is one of the largest city parks in the nation. It covers over 8,900 acres and has more than 100 miles of trails with views of streams, creeks, rivers, meadows, and other picturesque attractions. There are 61 individual parks that make up Fairmount Park.
- Fort Washington State Park: Once a fort of our first president, this 493-acre park is a bird watching haven. With its hilly terrain, it also makes a great place for some challenging workouts!
- John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge: Located in Tinicum, this 1200 acre park has miles of wonderful jogging paths and is just a short distance of the Philadelphia International Airport. So if you’re thinking of using that small gym in the Airport Sheraton…why not try this 1200-acre beauty?
- Lake Nockamixon: This park has 5,283-acres with a 1,450-acre lake in the middle of the property. It’s a great location to go for a run, rent a boat, have a picnic, or just spend the day outdoors.
- Linvilla Orchards: This 300-acre family farm is a great place to take the kids to feed the animals, pick a pumpkin, or go for a hay ride. It may not be the place for a long trail run…but you’ll spend a lot of time on your feet!
- Peace Valley Park: This beautiful 1,500-acre park is located in Bucks County. There are over 14 miles of trails, including a 6-mile path that goes around a 365-acre lake. It’s a great spot for running, walking, boating, picnicking, or just having a relaxing day.
- Ridley Creek State Park: This park has a paved five-mile park loop that goes through along the very scenic (& hilly!) Sycamore Mills and Forge Roads. Closed to vehicle traffic, you’ll enjoy some spectacular nature scenes while you stroll or jog along this fun path.
- Rose Tree Park: Located in Delaware County, this 120-acre park has some terrific grounds, wooded trails, and hosts some of the area’s best summer evening concerts in its hillside ampitheater.
- Schuylkill River Trail: This 20-mile trail that winds its way all the way from center city Philadelphia through Norristown & Conshohoken up to Valley Forge.
- Silver Lake Nature Center and Park: This 253-acre park has over 4 miles of gentle trails that take you along some this nature preserve.
- Tyler State Park: This 1,711-acre park is located in Bucks county and is loaded with great trail runs, parks and creek-side picnic spots. They also have a 27 “hole” Frisbee golf course!
- Valley Forge Park: This historic site holds over 3,600 acres of natural beauty and trails that link the Schuylkill River Trail and the Horse Show Trail – Philadelphia’s link to the Appalachian Trail!
Fitness Philadelphia – Join a group
A little positive peer pressure can really energize your fitness program. So if you’re new to the area, passing through, or starting a new fitness routine in the City of Brotherly Love…try one of these group-motivators to keep you going!
- Fairmount Running Club: Join these folks for some great group runs through Fairmount Park!
- Philly Runners: Meets regularly on Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings on the Art Museum steps (Insert Rocky theme song here ;-). All skill-levels are welcome.
- Appalachian Mountain Club, Delaware Valley Chapter: Offers many group hiking opportunities in the southeastern PA area.
Fitness Philadelphia – Area Gyms
If the hotel gym just won’t do the trick or if the weather isn’t cooperating, click here to see the numerous facilities that are close to where you’ll be.
Fitness Philadelphia – Running Specialty Stores
Whether you need a pair of running shoes, a day pack, or another item for your fitness plans in Philadelphia. Below are some of the most respected and renowned vendors that will provide you with the information and products that you’re looking for:
- Bryn Mawr Running Company: This store is located right on the Main Line (Route 30) between Ardmore and Devon. Staffed by some of the best runners in the Philadelphia area, you’re sure to get the advice and service that you need.
- Delaware Running Company: This store is located just 20 minutes south of Philadelphia in Wilmington, Delaware. Staffed by Delaware’s top running team, this group will help you find the products that are right for you.
- North Wales Running Company: Located in Bucks County, this store is owned and operated by a former All-American runner from Villanova University.
Fitness Philadelphia – The Running Races
There are literally hundreds of great races in the Philadelphia area, offering challenging and rewarding experiences both in and out of the city. Below are the most popular: