It seems like our modern society needs to be reminded of a few good reasons to drink water. With the summer season upon us (in the northern hemisphere ;-), there seems to be an endless supply of caffeinated, alcohol, and sugary drinks from family get-togethers, vacation outings, to the neighborhood barbeques. It’s hard to avoid. And while there’s nothing wrong with having a treat now and again, remember that there’s an alternate choice out there that comes right out of the faucet and is a lot more refreshing – Water! Good old-fashioned water may not be your first drink choice, but here are some reasons to consider when you’re looking for a glass of something cool to quench your thirst:
- Water keeps our skin healthy and hydrated and deters age marks and wrinkles.
- Water adds shock absorption to our joints
- Water helps carry away waste from our blood stream and keeps the body functioning properly.
- Water fills our stomachs, so we eat less.
- Dehydration can lead to kidney stones and organ failure.
- Water has no additives or preservatives.
- Dehydration causes fatigue…drink water & feel energized!
- Water helps carries nutrients though our blood to where they need to be.
- Water has been associated with the reduced risk of certain diseases, like colon, bladder and breast cancers.
- Another symptom of dehydration are headaches…have a glass of water!
Despite all the benefits that water provides, it’s estimated that more than 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. Our bodies are 2/3 water. We need water. We can live months without food, but a few days without water and we’ll die. Thirst can often be mistaken for hunger, causing over-eating when all our body really wanted was a glass of water. This summer, sit back and enjoy a tall glass of H20…and if you’re feeling real exotic…squeeze in a lemon or a lime. Here’s to a great summer….Cheers!!